Three Suspects in Custody Following BPD Response to Catalytic Converter Theft in Brighton

The information and images contained in this article may be delayed due to the FOIA and public records guidelines which allow departments and government agencies to take up-to multiple months to fulfill requests such as providing booking photos or documents. The inculded reports have been redacted by both BPD as well as Live Boston Staff for reasons of investigatory purpose as well as officer safety.

At about 2:37 AM on Wednesday February 16, 2022, officers assigned to District D-14 (Brighton) arrested three suspects on multiple charges following their response to an Investigate Person call in the area of 72 Strathmore Road in Brighton.

On arrival, officers were informed that three males had been observed utilizing a power tool to remove and steal the catalytic converter of a parked and unattended Toyota Prius. The suspects then fled the area in a black sedan bearing a Massachusetts RMV license plate which was also shared with the officers. Provided with this information, additional BPD officers along with members of the Brookline Police Department were able to stop the suspect motor vehicle a short time later in the area of 1731 Beacon Street.

Officers then conducted their investigation and removed all three parties, later identifying the operator as Camilo Rendon, 24, or East Boston along with the front and rear seat passengers as Juan Suarez, 19, of Revere and Juan Oquendo, 28, of East Boston, respectively. The suspects were placed in custody on scene without incident after officers located and recovered several dirty car parts which were determined to be catalytic converters along with several saw blades and other evidence from inside the vehicle.

All three parties will face arraignment in Brighton District Court on charges of Larceny of a Motor Vehicle, Receiving or Concealing Stolen Goods and Possession of Burglarious Tools. Camilo Rendon will also face a charge of Operating a Motor Vehicle without a Driver’s License after officers confirmed he was an unlicensed operator.